Resolve- month one.


Hey dudes, happy new week!

So I noticed a trend with this blog through my morning pages I've been keeping...I talk about a TON of stuff I want to do and only rarely do I follow through. I'm tweaking this- instead of listing all of the the things on my wish list, I'm putting into words what I will do and follow through on a plan. So far? I'm seeing progress. I don't think I'm going to be able to put up my mission accomplish flag just yet- but we're moving and shaking and I think that's an important step.

Back in December I talked about resolve and doing things for New Years- and we started up our monthly arts and crafts.

I read in some mom blog somewheres that it's important to lay the ground work for writing early- by this I mean the physical task that includes digital dexterity, not the art of writing. I love watching little hands at work and having handwriting that changes with the tides, I appreciate that there is SO MUCH MORE to writing than just picking up a pencil.

So we started our monthly arts and crafts with...Cheerio Bird Feeders!

1. Gather supplies: All around the house and Big Lot for us: plain Cheerios, thin string, scotch tape or a child's plastic sewing needle, pencils or pens or a stick, scissors, and a surface that's clean-ish (we did this on the living room carpet which is deeescusting in our house, so we just used the back of our Thomas the Train map.)

also pictured- but not used, paper clips- I would've used them as a needle if the tape didn't work.

2. Tie the string cut to desired length and tie to pencil. This is awesome for two reasons- first, creates a loop for later to turn string into a necklace and two, Cheerios don't fall off.



3. Thread needle OR tape end like a shoe lace to thread Cheerios- the longer the tape stretched over the sting, the easier for little hands to work it. 


4. Thread away! Yea, we're still, at close to 21 months rockin' the bib. We drool a ton. We don't like to change shirts more than once a day. Bibs are cool. 


5. Eat Cheerios. Everyone, and as you can see, EVERYONE enjoyed this part. 








 6. Thread a few more.
7. When you're tired of threading Cheerios, or when it's taller than your little person, remove the pencil and make it into a necklace-ish thing. 



8. Hang outside- this was our first spot, on the neighbor's fence. We moved it quickly after because their dog started snacking- and I don't want to have to pay their vet bill if he decided he liked the string too. 


9. Scamp kept an eye on things- thanks Scamp. 


10. And then we celebrated our Arts and Craps Sundee with the important science lesson of the day- changing cookies from solid to liquid by dunking them in milk. He loved it. 

Todd said he looks like he's saying, "whhhhhuuuuu?"

Moral of the story- don't spend a ton on arts and craps when you have little people. Most of this stuff you have around the house- sewing thread will do, any kind of round/holed cereal works. What was the most fun, just chillin' with my people. And although I hope the birds enjoy the snack, it wasn't the priority. We'll check tonight and update if I remember.





Comments

Isrut said…
That is awesome. Maks is going to FLIP OUT when the birds start eating it.