The Aston Parade

"Many motorcyclists think that the sound of their bikes can be a good thing, Zdziera said. Pedestrians who might not see the motorcycles will hear them. The sound can act as a warning." (taken from today's Philadelphia Inquirer.)

The article discusses the motorcycle problem in New Hope, PA in Bucks County near Trenton. If you've never been there, it's a quaint little town- think Manayunk...except smaller with older yuppies.

Todd and I bought a house in Aston last year. We live in a humble (REALLY small) home on a very steep hill (I sweat when I walk to my car) with a ton of character (spiral stair cases) that's very old. Basically...we live on the hillbilly side of Aston. (NOTE: hillbilly passed spell check.) Everything was going GREAT until we were there for more than five minutes and a motorcycle BLAZED up the hill. My china rattled. The house rumbled. My ear drums recoiled back into themselves like turtle heads.

Now, after living there for a year, we've found that this happens at least twice a day or four to five times on the weekend. Awesome.

I think I'm turning into the old lady on the porch shaking her broom at her neighbors in my old age. Either way, note the Inquirer quote again: "Many motorcyclists think that the sound of their bikes can be a good thing, Zdziera said. Pedestrians who might not see the motorcycles will hear them. The sound can act as a warning." He's kidding, right?

Most motorcyclists aren't noticed for just the loud noise that their bikes create. I can't believe that's an argument. Anyway, Shannon uses this site to make a list of must haves and it looks WAY fun. SO, I'm going to make a list of Aston, PA must haves.






Things the township provides on move in day:

1. Reminder notice that the Confederate flag hangs on a few people's porches.
2. A can of Bud.
3. Ear plugs
4. Fire crackers (see #3)
5. Motorcycle (see #3)
6. Burn your shit Saturday (BYSS)- first Saturday of every month Astonians can go outside and burn things.

Please note: missing from picture: BB guns fired at various times throughout the day (please see #3.)

Comments